We have a a dedicated team within our EAL provision.
The English as an Additional Language (EAL) team work closely with students who are in the process of learning English. This includes working with students who are recent arrivals from overseas who have very little spoken English, as well as continuing to support students who have a different language spoken at home throughout their learning of spoken and written English. The department is one strand of inclusion, where we aim to work with subject departments in order meet the needs of the EAL pupils, raise their self-esteem and value both their linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
- Group work dedicated to learning both spoken and written English
- One to One sessions for those most at need
- Support in class where appropriate
- Access to bilingual dictionaries
- Access to translation services if required for school meetings
- Assistance with special examination arrangements where appropriate
- The opportunity to enter pupils in public exams (GCSE/A level) in their mother tongue in order to achieve an extra qualification.