Support For KS4
- Discuss with your child which routes that they wish to take after GCSE’s – 6th form, college or an apprenticeship (see useful resources section below for some handy links about the routes available to your child)
- If your child is unsure on their options encourage them to research what is available to them (see useful resources section below)
- Encourage your child to be responsible at home to gain valuable skills.
- Encourage your child to be part of clubs and associations to help to build up their skills set and gain valuable experience of being an adult.
- For older children encourage them to get a small part time job, a paper round or to volunteer to help them gain experience of a working environment. Both educational institutions and employers actively encourage students to have real experience of work.
- Ask your child to start recording their skills and experiences so they can refer back to them when
Here are some useful resources for you:
- Take the 'Plotr' quiz but make sure that you register with them first so you don’t lose the results: https://www.startprofile.com/
- Interested in a job but want more information? e.g. what qualifications will I need; what skills do I need to develop? The National Careers Services describes a range of careers for students (and older) to consider; along with useful guidance how to apply for jobs and prepare for interviews. The Job Profiles page is particularly useful: https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobfamily/Pages/default.aspx
- Careers advice and videos on a range of careers choices http://icould.com/
Post Year 11
Local College websites:
- Moulton College, from post-16 to postgraduate and professional development, provides full and part-time courses: www.moulton.ac.uk
- Tresham College, post 16 courses including the National College for Motorsport and HNC/HND courses: www.tresham.ac.uk/
- Northampton College, full and part time courses, including higher education and professional training courses: www.northamptoncollege.ac.uk/
- Where to look when applying for apprenticeships: https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
- Advice when applying for apprenticeships: https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/advice-and-guides
- Which University Guide - a site from Which providing a lot of what you need to know about universities, courses and employment prospects: http://www.university.which.co.uk